Suspension vs. Tires vs. Balance

Bob Tillman touched on this but I'm not sure he really explained it.  No
matter what type of tire you have on your car you can tune the suspension
to make the cars handling neutral.  Neutral handling is a very interesting
thing.  I owned an '84 RX-7 before my GLX.  I installed a fully adjustable
coil-over setup with adjustable swaybars front and rear.  The problem was,
how to adjust the suspension for neutral handling.  What was "neutral
handling"?  After chasing setup on the autocross course for a year, I found
enlightenment.  I drove my fathers '92 Miata in an autocross, suddenly it
was very obvious what neutral handling was.  I could finally "late brake"
or "left foot brake" the car and really see a difference in how the car
handled.  Let me see if I can explain balance even better.

In my experience "balance" changes with the speed of the car.  That's why
setting a car up for a road course is much different than setting it up for
an autocross.  Most autocross setups will cause the car to be too loose
(oversteer)for use on a road course.  In fact, most autocross setups (not
stock autocross but SP, P or modified) are ususally to agressive (too much
oversteer) to work well on the street.  The car is too loose in 50mph+
corners. Our stock VW's have a low speed push (understeer) but handle great
at high speeds.  I'd love to try my stock GLX on a fast road course.  I bet
it'd work great, with maybe a touch of understeer in the tighter corners.

Again, in my experience, once you decide what you are going to set the car
up for (what speed you are going to corner at) than you can change the
balance.  I think the ideal setup should let you control the car like this:

1. Enter the corner by doing all your braking while the car is going
straight (right foot braking) This should cause the car to slightly
oversteer caused by letting off the brakes before you turn-in.  The car is
still slightly nose heavy from braking.

2. Enter the corner by letting off the brake after you have started to
turn-in. This should cause a fair amount of oversteer because "late
braking" has all the weight transfered to the front tires when you turn-in.
This is good for tight corners at the end of a fast section.

3. Enter the corner by left foot braking and letting off the brake as you
turn-in.  This should let you brake deeper into the corner than condition
#1.  The backend shouldn't come out.  This is good for fast corners to keep
the rear end in check.  You are still on the gas as you start braking.
Slowly let off the gas as you apply more brake.  This keeps weight transfer
to a minimum.

This has been my experience.  I haven't mastered it by any means!  :)  It's
difficult to judge the speed of a corner if you only get to walk the course
(autocross).  I think this is where experience comes into play.  I
encourage anyone that is trying to "tune" their car to go drive a stock
Miata or a other "good handling" car.  It will help you understand what
your trying to acheive with your own cars suspension.

***In answer to the Suspension vs Tires.  I'd go with the suspension.  A
balanced car will always improve your times and improve your driving
skills.  New tires will just improve the grip, the balance will stay the
same and you will still be used to driving a balanced car.  If you are
racing stock in autocross, you will be buying "R" compound tires anyway so
bringing autocrossers into the discussion is a moot point.

Just my two cents.  (WOW, I wrote a novel!!)

Mitch Lewis
'97 GLX