Re: The VR6 is King (was RE: Jetta GL(X) bashing)

At 6:17 PM -0400 10/2/98, Chris Fox wrote:
>Wally Green wrote:
>>
>> Both cars are great for different reasons. We all have the VR6, and that's
>> what counts. I mean really, the VR6 is what *makes* our cars, not the number
>> of doors, or whether or not you have a hatch-back.
>>
>> I'd care not to comment on the GL issue. The 2.0 4-banger speaks for itself.
>
>> > Billy T.
>ooh Billy T. Nice comments.  I dont see any problems with my 4 cyl.  2
>woop-de-friggin-do cylinders turns a piece of junk car into some amazing
>piece of automobile excellence?  The more you rightous you VR6's get
>about your cars makes me SICK!  Again I'd like to thank everyone on this
>list for being so helpful.

I don't think anyone can debate the following: Off the dealer lot, the
Jetta GLX is a sport sedan. A Jetta GL is a touring sedan.

Now, what you do off the dealer lot is a different story. Fact is, the
Jetta GLX is the fastest, nicest Jetta off the lot, and that is why they
charge more for them, and by that very fact, they are more of a status
symbol than other trim lines. They have a much better suspension, more
powerful engine, and come with sportier options and more luxury features.

On the other hand, anyone harshing on a Jetta GL, a Golf GL or otherwise is
simply being stupid because it has almost identical safety, head room, and
other basic components, the stuff you hope is there when the shit hits the
fan.

We should all be here because we love the Jetta GLX, while recognizing the
merits of less capable Jetta's and other VW's.

Let me say this-- if I could own no 6 cylinder car, I would certainly pick
any VW four banger-- golf, passat, beetle, or jetta, regardless of the
engine or other trimlines.

If you think Jetta GL's suck, go preach your religion to the Honda lists
where people will appreciate your comments. On the other hand, if you're a
Jetta GL owner who appreciates a GLX, welcome, there is a lot you'll learn
by virtue of the commonalities between our cars!

Oh, and don't screw with Wally. You'll quickly come to realize he's
mentally unstable, and drools off in the corner. Ignore him. :-p

-Khan

Khan Klatt <kklatt@nw.verio.net>                             Verio Northwest
Network Engineer                                    Bellingham Branch Office
Tel 800.591.2757 x 13                                    725 N. State Street
Fax 360.738.8315                                        Bellingham, WA 98225