wind noise

I'm still lovin my Green '97 GLX, but suddenly I've been experiencing
some wind noise at speeds greater than 35 mph.  It sounds like it is
coming from the top trailing edge of the front passenger door.  I have
tried applying some weather stripping, but have had no luck pinpointing
the problem area.
Another frustrating sound is that rattling noise the Mexican assembled
Jetta's have.  Some of the interior molding squeaks or rattles.  I was
thinking of applying some silicone lube to the areas where the molding
is in contact with other peaces, but thought a cleaner method might be
out there.
If anybody is aware of any solution to these problems or has any tips on
investigating the source of the problem, I'd really appreciate some
info.  The winter months are here so I can't mask the embarrassing
sounds by having the sunroof open any more; although I do have a nice
sub in the trunk.  This is the only complaint I've had with my 2nd VW
and it's already got 34K miles.
Thanks
Steve