Multi Function Indicator (MFA)

    Anyone have this problem?  I was checking my MFA yesterday, and the ambient temperature
reading (last position) does not come up.  The display goes back to the clock.  If I hold down the         button that shifts the displays, sometimes it will (briefly) display the outside temp.  Also, last night
the temp. was around 62 F, and the MFA read -40.  Later on, it read correctly, but still only displated
as decribed above.  Question - is this the beginning of the end for my MFA, or is this a problem with
a temperature sensor, or what?
    Also, anyone know of a good VW parts/accesories shop in the NYC area?  Most of the places
in the magazines are in California.  Any place around here for instant gratification?  Most places I've
found have nothing on hand for VWs.  Lots of Honda stuff, though.