From:  cyng[SMTP:cyng@lamere.net]
Sent:  Monday, May 04, 1998 6:25 AM
To:  mgarland@wso.williams.edu; jettaglx@igtc.COM
Subject:  Re: Poll #1: chips

 -=-=-=-
Hey all,

I'm sorry for the newbie question, but could someone give an
explanation of what chipping is and how it works?  If not an
explanation, maybe a pointer to a URL that talks about it?

thanks much,
 -matt
 -=-=-=-

All modern (say, after '85 or so) cars have a computer in them.
The computer manages a LOT of things, from oxygen/gasoline mix
to diagnostics to oil pressure sensors and so on ad infinitum.
It's the brain of the car, basically.
   VW (like a great number of cars manufacturers) has in their
computers a main chip - no special name. It's like your desktop
computer's processor, in a way. It's the one which has the
ignition maps, rev limitor, speed governor, and other such info
which is used when the car runs.
   Replacing this particular chip with one which has been coded
with different information (say, a higher value for the speed
governor) will alter the performance of your car (changing its
top speed, in this example). Because the chip carries info
which is so vital to the car's performance (such as the oxygen/
gasoline mixture rates), you can make some fairly major changes
to the way the car runs, which can give you some rather nice
results.
   Several companies (AutoAuthority, Autotech, TechToniks, Neuspeed,
Garret, etc) make sporttuned chips, which have more aggressive
mixes at certain rpms, remove the speed governor, raise the
value at which the rev limitor kicks in, and so forth. They're
designed to take advantage of the car's capabilities in ways
which VW didn't bother spending time with (since the majority
of their cars will go to the average Joe and not to tuning
enthusiasts like ourselves).
   Don't ask me which chip is best. There are as many opinions as
there are chips.
   Think of replacing your stock chip with a sporttuned chip as
being very similar to replacing your desktop computer's Pentium
processor with a PentiumII, or your 604ev with a G3 on a Mac. It's
basically the same thing. And it's worthwhile.
   You will, depending upon the brand you buy, get better
accelleration, higher possible rpms, stronger pull at high rpms,
better gas mileage, and so forth. It's probably the most bang for
your buck, when it comes to upgrades (with a K+N air filter coming
in at a close second).
   Most VWs have their chip soldered in place, which is a big
pain. Depending upon the year of your car (and, to a lesser extent,
the location of its assembly - Germany or Mexico), you may have to
send your computer in to have the stock chip desoldered, a sort of
chip mounting bracket soldered into place, and the new chip plugged
into that bracket. Some brands may not provide this service. Those
which do charge a fee ($30-$50 or so). I know that Neuspeed will
do it for you and send the computer back next-day mail, which is
pretty decent, but it costs extra for the installation. If yours
is a '93 or '94, your chip is probably not soldered in place, which
means that you should be able to make the chip swap yourself, you
lucky dog, you. Mine's a '95, and the damned thing is soldered in
place.
   Anyhow, I hope that that answered more questions than it caused.
Get opinions. Consider carefully before deciding which chip to get,
since they're not so cheap.