Poll#2: slowing down

Allo again.
   I have another poll for you, if you've got time.
   My brakes are 3 years old, on my '95 GLX, and I'd like to go easy on
them as funds are in short supply at the moment (we're moving). I know
that one can effectively slow down by downshifting and easing the clutch
out, but this seems to me to be a somewhat unhealthy thing to do to your
engine or clutch.
   My brother makes heavy use of clutch-slowing when he drives his '93
CorradoSLC. He claims that the engine can take the torquing of that sort
of slowing, but, as I said, it just feels unhealthy for the car.
   Thoughts?
   Thanks again.
- -T