Love-hate relationship with VW (currently: Hate)

Hello everyone

My 1996 GLX is all stock, has 45,000 miles on it, has never
been abused and was serviced regularly and only at the VW
dealer.  Currently, I hate it.   Last Tuesday, it crapped out on me.
Dead as a doornail.  And no, it's not a battery (read on), the
battery had to be replaced once already.

To cut a long story short, my car needs a new ignition key lock,
new starter and a new flywheel.  All at once.  Total cost: in
excess of $1,700!!   Ouch!  10/100,000 warranty does not cover
any parts or labor costs (surprise, surprise!).

I haven't even payed for this car completely, and I have to fork out
a fortune.  Call me crazy, but that just does not seem right in
today's marketplace and expected quality of vehicles out there...
VW representative did not return my call from Friday.  VW service
does not care, they are "sorry", BS, BS, BS....  Yeah, whatever.

BTW, this particular GLX was a replacement vehicle, since VW
basically agreed that 1995 GLX I had was a "lemon"...

I am very seriously considering selling this car, since I can NOT
afford similar repairs on a car that is only two years old.  Yeah,
it's fast, yeah, it was (not anymore!!!) a good value, but please!
And, it's not going to get any better as it gets older, we all know
that...

Anyway, I have several questions for you:

1.)  What do you think is the current market price for this car?
Leather, heated seats, CD Changer, excellent condition.  Well,
as soon as they get it fixed  :-)    I have looked all over the
Internet and have a fairly decent idea what KBB,  classifieds and
dealerships list them for...  Anywhere from 15,500 to 20,000
(talk about rip-off there, huh?).  Average: $17,700.  It would be
nice if I can get that much for it.

Do you have a NADA listing handy?  If you do, please let me
know what are the listed retail and wholesale prices in there.

2.)  I would not mind getting a new VW, in order to take
advantage of my VW Visa points (close to 1,500) + I get free
maintenance for 2/24,000.  So, what are the best deals I can get
on GTI VR6, GLX or even new Passat?   Again, I've looked over
the Internet, and attempted to use Auto-by-tel and similar
services, but they never called back.  First-hand information
would be more valuable, anyway, and I would appreciate it.

If I don't find a reallly good deal on a new VW, new Honda
Accord V6 may be my first choice.  Maybe Nissan Maxima.  I just
can afford and do not want to deal with VW unreliability anymore.

TIA
Vojin