Re:Love-hate relationship with VW (currently: Hate)

The VW Jetta GLX Mailing List Digest

>Date: Mon, 08 Jun 1998 13:30:25 -0500
>From: Vojin Janjic <vjanjic@mail.state.tn.us>
>Subject: Love-hate relationship with VW (currently: Hate)
>
>Hello everyone
>
>My 1996 GLX is all stock, has 45,000 miles on it, has never
>been abused and was serviced regularly and only at the VW
>dealer.  Currently, I hate it.   Last Tuesday, it crapped out on me.
>Dead as a doornail.  And no, it's not a battery (read on), the
>battery had to be replaced once already.
>
>To cut a long story short, my car needs a new ignition key lock,
>new starter and a new flywheel.  All at once.  Total cost: in
>excess of $1,700!!   Ouch!  10/100,000 warranty does not cover
>any parts or labor costs (surprise, surprise!).

Vojin,

I don't mean to prolong your pain here (or anyone else's with this
thread) but while everyone else was defending/condemning VW's
reliability, nobody the obvious question about the legitimacy of this
repair...

Hello Don...did you read this?

You didn't say why the service dept felt it was necessary to replace all
those parts. A flywheel is just a flat disk with gear teeth on it. The
only reason to replace it would be if a tooth broke. What are the details
here?

John Darwak
'97 Jetta GLX Sequoia/Biber beige