New to List

I have a green '98 that was purchased in February.  The only mod's that I have made are the removal of the sound baffling tubes in the air intake, & I put a K&N in there.  As much as I love this car, there are a few things that I'd like to change about it, & I'm hoping to get some helpful input from list members.

1)    It has the dealer-installed CD changer.  They installed it on the floor of the trunk close to the rear of
       the car & on the driver's side.  I do not like this location because of the risk of damage to the
       changer due to cargo shifting.  I feel like I have to drive like a grandma when I have something in
       the trunk.  Also, it has a tendency to skip if I take a curve, even a very smooth curve, at an
       enthusiastic pace.  I would be interested to know if anyone has had their changer installed in an
       alternate location with improved results.

2)    The Eagle GA's are pretty lame; especially considering that I race an '85 Golf in SCCA Club
       Racing, & I'm used to the stick of a BFG R1.  I'd like to know of other tires have made a
       substantial improvement in the car's handling in both wet & dry conditions.  I want to stick to the
       stock size or at least a size that will fit on the stock wheel & will not change the overall diameter.

3)    I'd like to make some mod's that will increase power.  I'm interested in keeping them simple &
       warranty friendly.  I'm also not so much interested in top-end power as I am in mid-range power.
       The most obvious would be exhaust, but I've heard too many stories of aftermarket exhaust systems
       that only make noise rather than power.  I want to find out what actually works.  It doesn't have to
       make the car outrageously fast, but I do want to be able to feel the difference in the seat of my
       pants.

4)    I've seen the round headlamps, & I'd like to get a set for my car.  However, I refuse to replace my
       hood in order to make them fit.  Are there any round headlamp packages out there that do not
       require the hood to be replaced with one from a Golf?

Sorry for the length of this e-mail, & thanks in advance for any helpful advice.

Michael Keith
Pasadena, TX
'98 Jetta GLX
'85 Golf SCCA ITB/DSP