Cupholder rant Was: Re: ND VDO Guage Panel..

<clip>
A friend of mine was mentioning that he uses the rear seat cupholder while
he's driving. I'm not that much of a contortionist, but that's an idea. ;)

- -Khan

The problem there is the same with the side-of-console-Passat-drink-tray,
namely, the damn cup surrounder things fold down at the most inopportune
moments, leaving you to fumble around so your drink won't spill, and you
fix it just in time to face front and realize you're about to pile into a
buick-load of girlscouts.
And while we're on the subject-
I'm tall. 99% of the time, if there's someone in the rear seat, it's
because the front is taken. And if there's anyone in the rear seat at all,
chances are there's two of 'em, just because that's how I usually cart
friends around.
All of my friends are tall, too.
So, after all leg-accommodation maneuvers are completed, there is no chance
AT ALL that anyone can easily get to the rear cupholder, let alone USE it.
I'd get rid of the cupholders, but they do serve some purpose.
The console ones- hold my sunglasses perfectly.
The Passat one I added- holds drive-thru sodas, if I'm willing to use both
hands to get 'em in there.
The rear one- OK, so it's dumb and useless. I'd get rid of the entire thing
and put in a pre-airbag console, except where would I put the trunk release
button?!?
Dammit, VW, I realize it's a fairly cramped cabin, but you coulda done so
much better! How about throwing in a couple of those things that clip to
the window channel on the door? Or how about a cooler in the trunk with a
couple of really long straws?
<sigh>
OK, I vented. I feel better. It's a good thing that VR6 makes up for a
certain lack of charm in other departments. :-)
- -Ryan