Re: Bilstein vs Neuspeed Bilstein?

From: ken r weidmann jr. <glxtasy@juno.com>
>...The major thing is that the Neuspeed Bilsteins have the proper
>spring perch for the front, whereas the regular Bilsteins have the lower
>euro perch like the Koni's.

There are 3 different perch heights:
(1) The 94 and 95's have the highest spring perch.  "Yes, these were
originally a  Neuspeed item, but we sell them now, too", is what a Bilstein
rep told me.
(2) The 96 and early 97's perch is something like 19mm lower (this is the
"Euro" strut, it's also used on Corrado VR6's).  These are regular Bilstein
items that are available in Heavy Duty and Sport versions.  The difference
between them is that the Sports use a shorter shaft for use with lowering
springs.
(3) The late '97 and  on perch is lower by about another 10mm.  VW has been
putting the GTI VR6 Driver's Edition suspension in all the VR6's since
mid-year '97 production.  I can tell you from experience that if you use
'96-'97 struts in a late '97 with stock springs, the front ride height will
go up about 1/2".  I've been in touch with Bilstein R&D about this and they
are looking into it.  You can tell if you have the early or late version by
looking at the part number on the strut.  The early '97 number is 1H0 413
031 L and the later one is 1H0 413 031 Q.  The number is on a label on the
strut body where the tire clearance indentation is.  You may have to pop off
a metal clip to see the whole number.

From: Jeffrey S. Earl <phish@student.umass.edu>
>got the sports and the backs are not adjustable.  On my old A2 jetta I
>had the sports and they were adjustable.  I like this feature and am
>wondering if I have been misinformed about the availability of this for
>the A3's.

I also expected the HD's I got to have the extra grooves, but they didn't.
I also asked one of the Bilstein guys about that and all he said that some
do, some don't.

- -Chris