Re: my first dealer visit

At 11:05 AM 6/25/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Don't believe everything Maund VW tells you Zeek.
>
>Don, correct me if I'm wrong, But "Freezeplugs" are for the cooling
system.  Not the oil
>system.  The two should not meet.  And actually, if I'm not mistaken, the
holes capped by
>the freezeplugs are created during the casting of the block.  But, no
matter, the idea of
>oil coming from the freezeplug is bull shit.  (I think).  Keep an eye on
Maund. And if you
>have a major problem ask to speak with Salem (customer service mgr) and if
that doesn't
>work tall to "Tiny".  He runs the entire service department.
>

> Joe, The freeze plugs are in the cooling system. These hopefully will
prevent the block from cracking if the coolant should freeze. There are
metal plugs that look like freeze plugs at the end of oil galleys. Most of
these plugs are at the end of the block. I have seen these fail and cause
oil leaks. There is usually no SEATING time. It seals or it doesn't. I have
also seen porous engine blocks.
Right now we are starting to see porous cylinder heads on the Audi 1.8t
engines. I am sure the Passat will not be far with this problem.

Don