Re: my first dealer visit

Joe Mann wrote:

> Don't believe everything Maund VW tells you Zeek.
>
> Don, correct me if I'm wrong, But "Freezeplugs" are for the cooling system.  Not the oil
> system.  The two should not meet.  And actually, if I'm not mistaken, the holes capped by
> the freezeplugs are created during the casting of the block.  But, no matter, the idea of
> oil coming from the freezeplug is bull shit.  (I think).  Keep an eye on Maund. And if you
> have a major problem ask to speak with Salem (customer service mgr) and if that doesn't
> work tall to "Tiny".  He runs the entire service department.
>
> Zeek,  these bugger eating morons have...
> - replaced the same power window regulator twice
> - dripped brake fluid on the grill and had to repaint it
> - scored all for of my BBS wheels and are going to have them recoated.
> - replaced the same rear seat cover twice because the botched it the first time
> etc. etc.
>
> Just be aware.
>
> Later,
>
> Joe
>
> zeek the geek wrote:
>
> > noticed a few drops of oil coming from the
> > freezeplug. they told me that it probably just
> > hadn't seated yet and they cleaned it but i
> > should keep an eye on it for the next week
> > or so. they've ordered one so if it needs to
> > be replaced they're ready...
> >
> > what the hell is a freezeplug, anyway?
> >
> > oh and while i was there i bought a set
> > of floormats. they look really great they're
> > black with a white VW logo in the corners.
> > only sixty bucks. yeah i know they should
> > have thrown them in just for buying the
> > car!
> > btw- when i buy my mudflaps how difficult
> > are they to install? do they just bolt on?
> >
> > _____________________
> > spank me hard- REAL hard
> >
> >                      Name: WINMAIL.DAT
> >    WINMAIL.DAT       Type: DAT File (application/x-unknown-content-type-DAT_auto_file)
> >                  Encoding: x-uuencode

First off if the dealer say's they don't have a freeze plug in stock they are full of
crap. VW's freeze plugs are a common stocked item, they are also all the same, VW wise
that is, so it's not an odd item to be ordered from the VW parts depot.  If you are
getting oil out of the plug you may have a defective headgasket or worse yet a crack.
It has been documented that on some early VR6's VW did have a problem with cracks on one
lot manufactured im Deutschland.  Aber das ist nicht gut! Excuse me for going into
Deutsche.  But, I think you should tell the dealer they either take care of the problem
and fix it or you'll call VW's Hotline.  You'd better get on top of this quickly because
it may be signs of a more serious problem and you want it done while under the warranty.

BTW if a freeze plug leaks you should be only getting antifreeze leaks not oil. Let us
know how your doing with the dealer and what they say after you confront them with this.

Bob