Re: New List Ideas & Hellos (was RE: Garret Chip Question)

At 2:06 PM -0400 8/31/98, Jim Bazzano wrote:
>---------------
>I have my own server on the Internet, and I can certainly host something of
>this sort. I can put up a "Web Board" script on my web server, and even
>hack some popular scripts up to do exactly what you want...
>So what exactly is it that you're looking for... can you point us to some
>forums that will give us an idea of what to look for?
>-Khan
>----------
>
>Khan,
>
>Check out http://www.UltimateBB.com,   take a look a some of their sample
>sites, or take the tour to get the feel of what we are looking at.
>The cost is a 1 year lease for $51, or 1 site licence for $140 (free
>updates..support) (UNIX, NT)
>They encourage usage of there freeware to see if its right for us.
>
>-Jim

OK, I've looked at it, and it seems pretty cool.

I'm 100% certain that I can get this working on my server, but there are
several ways to go here:

1. Download the freebie version (which doesn't have all the features of the
pay-for software) and use it as is (functional, but without all the bells &
whistles)

2. Download the freebie version, but then hack it to do what we want it to
do (it's in Perl, and that means we have access to the source code)

3. Buy and install the commercial version for $150, or lease it for $52/year

4. Find some other software that is free, and modify it to do what we want.
(I've done this before)

Deciding what we want to do is largely dependent on what features you were
originally looking for.

-Khan

--
Khan Klatt