Info on '96 Jetta GLX

I have recently bought a '96 Jetta GLX and I do not know much about cars.
For now, I am looking for relatively inexpensive ways to improve my
performance.  I want my car to remain a "sleeper" so things like a chrome
exhaust is something I am not really interested in.  I am basically looking
to put several hundred dollars into my car and would like some opinions on
what I should do to it.  I will move into the more expensive hardware after
I win the lottery!

Thanks in advance.

end

 <mailto: matt.rhoads@compaq.com>