Re: NYC: Alarm/Stereo and Tint Shop Recommendations??

At 11:02 AM -0400 8/28/98, Naresh H. Singh wrote:
>Hey Everyone,
>
>I'm looking for some first hand recommendations on where to go to have my
>windows tinted and an alarm put into my '95 Jetta from those who have been
>there done that. I'm really picky about who works on my car as I'm sure
>most of you are. Looking for shops primarily in Brooklyn or Queens but
>will go out to Long Island or surrounding areas if necessary.
>
>On the tint, I'm gonna go with Sungard 35% all around. Best price I've
>gotten is $149 but attention to detail and experience is whats important
>with tint, so I'd go with a shop someone was happy with regardless of
>price. (Summer is almost over, so I may wait on this)

I don't know the NY area at *all*, but all I can say about tinting places
are that you should:

Get a 100%, 1 year, money back, satisfaction guarantee -- *in writing*.
Your tint may look good when you leave the shop, but give the car a few
days of humid/arid/humid/arid and a job that looks good the day after the
tint is done will start to develop little bubbles if it's not done well
enough.

This means that you will be 100% satisfied, or your money back. The fact
that you have it in writing is to take it to "Judge Judy" if you end up
getting screwed. Also, be sure not to sign any standard waiver or
disclaimer that nullifies this guarantee.

Get a couple of names from the installer who has done business with them
and call them. Ask how long they've had the tint, and how happy they are
with it. If you're not convinced, ask if you can see their car and how good
the tint is.

Find out what products they use for the tint. The place I'm considering
going uses 3M products. 3M is a trusted name in my book. Are they using
some no-name brand?

I know this might sound *really* paranoid, but considering that 3 out of
every 5 tinted cars I see on the road have horrid tint jobs, you can't be
too safe.

-Khan

--
Khan Klatt