Heated Mirrors = High Speed Fan

Fellow lovers of VR6s,

Long time list members will remember my travails with my
heated mirrors, and my unusually hot running GLX.  I may
have stumbled upon something interesting.

As everyone knows I yank my heated mirrors fuse every summer
since here in Dallas they seem a little superfluous when the
outside temperature is over 100F.  You may also remember that
I was complaining about my car running constantly on the warm
side. (If you don't remember any of this, shame on you, you
must be getting old).

I took my car in recently to repair my auxiliary water pump
which seemed to have become inoperative, and to check on the hot
running problem.  The dealer repair order said they replaced
the fan control module.

On the way to work today I touched my outside mirror and noticed
that it was extremely warm.  When I arrived at work I looked
at my fuses and viola! the heated mirror fuse has inexplicably
returned.  Since the original fuse is in my glove compartment the
dealer obviously installed a new fuse.

My question, to those electrical engineers that can read the
Bentley schematics better than I, does fuse #4 somehow also
control the high speed fan switch.  If this is the case, it would make
perfect sense.  I yanked the fuse last year when I bought the car
and didn't use the A/C all that much, and was not yet very
familiar with the car. Then re-installed the fuse in October
when I never use the A/C, so I never really knew that the fan
had a third speed.  If this is the case, this is a major discovery.
I could prevent other individuals from making the same mistake I
did.

If this fuse controls nothing other than the heated mirrors
and rear wiper on GTIs, why did the dealer replace my fuse?  There
was no reason for him to be near the fuse box.  AND if the fuse
was the cause of all my problems did they really replace the fan
control module? They wouldn't screw VWoA would they?

I await anxiously for the responses from the wisdom of this
esteemed group.

BTW, my car is running perfect, the water temp never goes beyond
vertical now.  Amazing what that third speed on the fan does for
the car.

Bill Schleusner  97GLX  no mods, no how 8^)