double-clutch is not a crime

In the past, before the invention of synchros, drivers HAD to double clutch in
the process of downshifting.  When done properly with matched tranny & engine
speeds, there is minimal wear on either engine, tranny or synchos.  Essentially,
when the speeds are matched correctly, the effect is harmless for wear but good
for braking.

Its the SAME effect as letting your foot off the brake, just one gear lower,
when its matched properly.  Note:  you need not heal-toe in all double clutch
(aka rev-shifting) situations.  Say you're at 40mph in 3rd gear at ~2,500 rpms
(approx) and you are approching a 90 degree right dogleg.  Depress the clutch,
simultaneously puch the gas and shift to second to get the rpms to 3,500 rpms
(again, approx) let out the clutch to match, the car begins to slow and you
marry the engine break with the brake pedal and notice solid braking
performance.  In the beginning you will find yourself looking straight at the
tach to get the match done properly, but will soon (windows done is good) hear
the match.  Its a beautiful thing, really.  Its always good to be close to
exactly what your engine is doing.  Besides, if you find yourself rolling into a
stale red light and you have double-clutched into a lower gear, a surprise green
will keep you closer to (or in) te power band to punch-it and smoke your
neighbor.  Works Like A Charm!

Chris