Re: "new" 97 GLX

Hey Rob,
	I finally got around to picking up mine last Thursday (bless every one of
those VW Visa autopoint$ I cashed in).  It's a later production one, too
(the last six digits of the VIN are 132357).  Besides all the things you
noticed, I also think the seat side bolsters are now spaced a little bit
wider to more comfortably accomodate the typical American fat ass.  I agree
with you about the trans.  They're not quite as slick and quiet as they
used to be.  Hmmm.  Although still a little "tentative" when cold, the idle
characteristics of the engine are way better than the older ones (~'96 and
prior).  In fact, one of the first things my brother said when driving it
was, "Hey, this isn't at all lopey like your Passat was".  Also, the
plastic intake manifold cover now (more correctly) says VR6-2.8 instead of
VR6-DOHC, but I'm not exactly sure when that change was made.
	Anyway, good luck with your new one.  I hope the second time's the charm!

- -Chris