Re: Volkswagon CD changer

Khan,

I am having the Clarion 6 CD changer put in my car this week. I was
DEFINITIVELY told that the factory unit WILL NOT control the 12 CD changer!
This information is via a Clarion sales rep, a local Clarion dealer and was
confirmed by a Crutchfield Audio technician.

You can update your data with this information per your request.

Thom

At 01:30 PM 9/7/97 -0800, you wrote:
>At 2:32 PM -0400 9/3/97, Stephen Saulnier wrote:
>>A short while ago someone posted a message concerning the CD changer
>>available from Volkswagon for the standard GLX sound system (the "premium",
>>not the BOSE) and mentioned that there was an identical aftermarket one for
>>about half the price. I think the manufacturer was Clarion, and it
>>supposedly installs in the trunk with the existing wiring harness and
>>connectors. If anyone remembers or knows which model I am trying to
>>describe, could you pass on the model number to me? The mrs. would greatly
>>appreciate being able to play her CD's.
>>
>>Thanks in advance,
>>
>>	Steve Saulnier
>>	ssaulnier@camber.com
>
>Here's a little (or not so little) article I wrote on the topic directly
>after I got mine... The URL links may be out of date by now, but try them
>out... ;)
>
>After a couple of months of operation, the Clarion changer works just fine,
>although I think the 6 CD cartridge is a little flimsy.
>
>-Khan
>
>---
>
>If you're a Jetta driver with the stock stereo installed, you might be
>considering adding a 6 CD changer to your car. I did some reasearch and
>with the help of a friend (thanks to Patrick Collins
><patrickc@pacificrim.net>), everything is working great. What follows is a
>little article I wrote up in the hopes that it'd help some of you out there
>facing the same options as I did.
>
>DOES THIS STUFF EVEN APPLY TO ME?
>
>Well, I really don't know. I'm not a VW nor a car audio expert, but perhaps
>my experience can give you a clue about what to do. Your car may be
>European made, or a different model, and things can certainly be different
>on your car. I have a North American made (Puebla, Mexico) 1997 Jetta GLX.
>My GLX did NOT come with the Bose audio system installed. IT came with the
>premium audio system (VW) instead. Apparently, these Jettas are installed
>with a VW tape deck that is essentially an OEM'ed version of a Clarion tape
>deck. If you have a Euro-made, GLS, GL, or stock Jetta, your mileage may
>vary (no pun intended).
>
>My Jetta GLX was completely wired for the CD changer in the trunk, so if
>you like keeping your Jetta pristine, your only option is to have it
>installed in the trunk.
>
>WHAT KIND OF TAPE DECK DO YOU HAVE?
>
>If you have an older model or a European Jetta, you might have a Panasonic
>tape deck, which may or may not make the remainder of this article apply to
>your stock tape deck. You can check to see if you have a Clarion tape deck
>by checking to see if it has "Premium Audio" emblazoned on the front of the
>deck, *AND* if the flap that covers the tape mechanism has a little
>vertical tab that extends out about 2mm on the far left hand side of the
>tape flap.
>
>This is the tape deck that I have, and the path of least resistance will
> [...]
===                                                              ===
===       Thomas F. Peluso           Electronics Development     ===
===       Eaton Corporation          Technical & Quality Center  ===
===       170 Industry Drive         (412) 787-6500 - Ext. 6930  ===
===       Pittsburgh, PA 15275       (412) 787-6593 (fax)        ===
===       E-Mail address:            tfp@tsil.net                ===
===       Packet Radio address:      KF3V@W2XO.PA.USA.NOAM       ===
===       E-Mail for schedule of FCC Exam sessions for both      ===
===         FCC Commericial and Amateur Radio Licensing.         ===
===   PLEASE visit my WEBPAGE and be sure to sign the guestbook  ===
===           HOMEPAGE ADDRESS = http://www.tsil.net/~tfp        ===