Re: sh*tty lease terms (long)

At 09:10 AM 11/24/97 -0700, you wrote:
>I have been trying to lease a new 1998 GLX for a few weeks now....
CUT TO SAVE SPACE......
>   I hate Auto-By-Tel.
>   Jeremy Brandow

Jeremy,

I tried AUTO-BITE & TELL too last year when I got my 97 GLX.
I didn't have much luck either. I ended up doing it on my own.
I got THE BEST DEAL THAT I POSSIBLE COULD at 5 different dealers
and then played them off against each other and twisting the issue
by asking that floor mats, a bra and mudflaps be added.
I actually ended up paying about $80 more at one dealership because
two of my friends work there. I thought that was worth it.

A few comments:
1. I'm 41 now, but bought my first BRAND NEW car at 18 (1974 Firebird
Formula). And grant it, it was only $4,150 TAX, TITLE, PLATES & ALL back
then, but at that time, I was making $1.65/hour, headed to college and
playing in bands for extra cash. Four "G" was a tidy sum!!! And NO DEALER
gave me the time of day becuase I was a young, long-haired rock'n roll
punk. I had to wave a chunk of cash in their face to get their attention!
hahahahahaha After I bought it, I felt like visiting the other dealerships
that blew me off!!!  :-) Just use their own psychology on salesmen that may
offend you in this area... "Hey bucko! I got my finances in order, do YOU
want to sell a car or not!!!???"

2. If you want to give AUTO-BY-TEL another chance, call and ask for a
supervisor and report your disatisfaction. Perhaps, they will make amends
by working a better deal for exactly what you want.

3. Tell the sales people up front what YOU want. Don't let them tell you or
twist your plans with bizarre deals or hidden lease term "fine print" clauses.

4. Maybe you ought to off the Neon yourself. TRADES=LOST MONEY!!!

5. If they hover over you (like you said) with pens in hand demanding that
you sign, RUN RUN RUN away from that place.... and then let VW know about
your experience.

6. Get a figure in your head EXACTLY how much you're willing to spend!
Then, when you get close to a deal, WALK AWAY and let THEM sweat. YOU'RE
the customer. They thrive on YOU! Man do they HATE when they're close to
selling you and then you walk. Guess what? They usually get back to you! I
got a better deal that way. Remember, the first one who talks, loses. (By
the way, this is NOT my opinion alone, but from a friend of mine who has
sold cars for over 20 years. He's worked in "down home" dealerships... and
the bounce-you-off-the-wall TRACK STORES.

7. GOOD LUCK TO YOU and enjoy the ride when you get it!

Thom