Re: sh*tty lease terms (long)

On Mon, Nov 24, 1997 at 09:10:32AM -0700, Jeremy Brandow wrote:
[Deleted]
>    I hate Auto-By-Tel.
>    Jeremy Brandow

First of all, I'm new to the list... I don't have my Jetta yet, but
I hope to by the end of the week.  I'm probably going to get black
with leather seats, although the metalic green looks very nice too.
Manual, of course.

I filled out the info on Auto-By-Tel's site, and the next day I got
a call from an affiliated dealer.  He said he had the car I wanted
in stock, and offered me $500 over invoice right on the phone...
from every thing I've seen, that's a fair price, and I probably
would have taken it immediately if he wasn't 150 miles from here.
I REALLY hate bargening over prices, and I really appreciated the
"flat pricing".

But since he's so far away, I decided to give my local dealer a try.
He was a typical car salesman... he needed to be corrected on a
number of "inaccuracies" in his pitch, he couldn't explain what half
the features he was naming actually DID, and he couldn't even point
out where the alternator was under the hood.  Then when it came time
to talk about price, he accused me of stealing food from his kid's
mouths when I offered him $1000 over invoice, after lying to me about
what they payed, and also some other issues about sales tax, and told
me that I would have trouble bringing my car to their dealership for
service if I bought it at another dealer.  Fortunately, it seems now,
the financing didn't go through, and he let me go.

I'm going to get my financing done at a bank, and probably drive the
150 miles to the Auto-By-Tel dealer.  It's worth it.

So that's my Auto-By-Tel story... so far, I'm happy with them,
although I havn't actually completed a deal using them.  I'll
post a followup when I actually get the car :)

- --
     /// Stefan Hudson <hudson@mbay.net>
__  /// Senior Network Administrator - Monterey Bay Internet
\\\/// http://www.mbay.net/  -  Email: info@mbay.net
 \XX/ Voice: 408-642-6100  Fax: 408-642-6101  Modem: 408-642-6102