Re (long): Sound in Jetta/BOSE CD-Changer in 98 GLX

I'll try to answer some of the questions in one long post.
- ----------
I have not personally looked up close at the '98's, but I think they have
the same stuff as the '97's, but I do know at least that the '98 Passats
have a smaller changer than the earlier cars (and it's only $280).  Maybe
this is what the '98 Jetta GLX's are set up for (if they are different from
the '97's).  Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.  FWIW, the Bose system is
really only the amp and speakers.  The head unit is a modified Panasonic
unit and uses the Panasonic changer.  The changer from my '93 Passat GLX
plugged right in to the harness in my late '97 (Bose) Jetta GLX.  Speaking
of harnesses, the changer-end of Clarion-style harness has one multi-pin
plug only while the Panasonic-style harness has one multi-pin plug and two
RCA-type plugs.  What do the '98's have?  Don?  Mark at Scott VW?
- ----------
- -> This next part isn't explained in the radio manual <- (at least not in
mine)
If the anti-theft LED isn't blinking, it means that the anti-theft coding
isn't enabled (it should have been at prep time), and the radio *will* work
if it is disconnected and then reconnected.  Please don't inform the thief
population about this.  To enable the coding:
1. Turn on radio (it will work normally).
2. Simultaneously press and hold down the appropriate two buttons ("SEEK"
and "<SCAN" for Bose, "MODE" and "SCAN" for others).  In a second or two the
display will change to "COdE" and then to "1000".
3. Release the two buttons.
4. Enter your radio code using station presets 1 through 4.  If you don't
know how, just mess around with it, it's not that hard to figure out.
5. Press and hold down those same two buttons.  In a second or two the
display will change to "SAFE".
6. Release the two buttons.  The display will return to normal, the radio
will work just as it did before, and when you take the key out of the
ignition the LED will blink.
If you want to disable the coding, follow the same instructions except
exchange the words "SAFE" and "COdE", and of course the LED won't blink
anymore when you're done.
- ----------
The following mainly applies to Jetta GLX's.  Early GL's had a (really
crappy) "Deluxe" radio and no other Jetta/Golf/GTI model has the Bose system
(they still use the Clarion stuff, yes, even the music editions):

*Speakers*
- -- '94 to ~'95 - 8 speakers, two in dash, one in each front door, two in
each rear door.
- -- ~'96 to early '97 - 8 speakers, two in dash, one in each front door, four
on rear shelf.
- -- late '97 (Bose) - 10 speakers, four in dash (there are two under each
grille), one in each front door, four on rear shelf.

*Head units*
- -- '94's and some '95's - "Premium" made by Panasonic.
- -- some '95's to early '97 - "Premium" made by Clarion.
- -> the previous two units look almost exactly alike <-
- -- late '97 (Bose) - Newer style "Premium" made by Panasonic, similar to the
unit used in ~'95 and up Passats, but has "Bose" written on the faceplate
and doesn't have internal amplification.

*Separate amplifier*
- -- late '97 Bose only - mounted in the trunk on the underside of rear shelf
between the speakers .

Whew.

- -Chris