Stick vs Auto

Based on the May '96 Technical data supplement accompanying the Euro
Vento sales literature I recieved from Volkswagen Wolfsburg,.......

Here are some Key numbers on the VR6 Manual tranny vs the Full Auto
transmission.

Top Speed (listed as Kilometres Per Hour)

5speed		224
AT		220

Linear Acceleration, (listed in seconds)

0-80kph

5speed 		5.5
AT		6.4

0-100

5speed		8.0
AT		9.3

I do not see any info on the difference (however slight) in curbweights
due to the different transmissions and the different amounts of
Transmission fluids etc. (yeah that's it,........ mine's just one second
HEAVIER) ;)

I guess a full second slower aint so bad... I'm guaranteed I wont miss
second gear, and I wont fry my clutches. Just don't ask me to chase you
up a twisty mountain road.

The automatic transmission also gets slightly worse fuel consumption
too. (DUH!)

But I won't post the numbers as they are based on european octanes where
98RON is suggested. That probably qualifies as Jet fuel here in the
states! ;-)

- -HELS