Re: Stick vs Auto

VERY INTERESTING!!!!!
Thanks for the info...  Anyone else have any PROs/CONs about the automatic???
Hey, and since you mentioned it, what OCTANE do they recommend you put in
these little beasts?  My buddy works where I bought my car as the head mechanic
(manager) and he said the cheap stuff is fine....  I think I prefer about 89
or even the 92 octance stuff. I can ONLY find in my manual that it should be
a minimum of 86 octane - unleaded!!!

Thom

At 02:13 PM 5/7/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Based on the May '96 Technical data supplement accompanying the Euro
>Vento sales literature I recieved from Volkswagen Wolfsburg,.......
>
>Here are some Key numbers on the VR6 Manual tranny vs the Full Auto
>transmission.
>
>Top Speed (listed as Kilometres Per Hour)
>
>5speed		224
>AT		220
>
>Linear Acceleration, (listed in seconds)
>
>0-80kph
>
>5speed 		5.5
>AT		6.4
>
>0-100
>
>5speed		8.0
>AT		9.3
>

>I do not see any info on the difference (however slight) in curbweights
>due to the different transmissions and the different amounts of
>Transmission fluids etc. (yeah that's it,........ mine's just one second
>HEAVIER) ;)
>
>I guess a full second slower aint so bad... I'm guaranteed I wont miss
>second gear, and I wont fry my clutches. Just don't ask me to chase you
>up a twisty mountain road.
>
>The automatic transmission also gets slightly worse fuel consumption
>too. (DUH!)
>
>But I won't post the numbers as they are based on european octanes where
>98RON is suggested. That probably qualifies as Jet fuel here in the
>states! ;-)
>
>-HELS

===                                                              ===
===       Thomas F. Peluso           Electronics Development     ===
===       Eaton Corporation          Technical & Quality Center  ===
===       170 Industry Drive         (412) 787-6500 - Ext. 6930  ===
===       Pittsburgh, PA 15275       (412) 787-6593 (fax)        ===
===                TPeluso@Elec_Lab.TechCtr.CH.ETN.COM           ===
===                     alternate addresses:                     ===
===         Thomas.Peluso@Industry.Net       TFP@tsil.net        ===
===     KF3V@W2XO.PA.USA.NOAM (packet)   FCC.EXAM@Industry.Net   ===
===       E-Mail for schedule of FCC Exam sessions for both      ===
===         FCC Commericial and Amateur Radio Licensing.         ===
===         HOMEPAGE ADDRESS = http://www.tsil.net/~tfp          ===