Re: Bose Stereo

David Rizzolo wrote:

> After all the talk last week about stereos for the GLX, I thought I
> would
> relate my story also.
>
> I was to have had an Eclipse CD/head unit installed until a discovery
> killed that idea. It seems the factory Bose amp will only work well
> with
> the factory head unit (Pannasonic). To make things happen with the
> Eclipse
> (or any aftermarket unit) an FM modulator  ($100) would have been
> needed to
> communicate through the amp (reduces sound quality). My other option
> was to
> replace both the head unit and amp but since sound quality was not the
>
> issue, all I wanted was the cd option, I chose not to do it.
>
> Instead, I opted to install a Pannasonic 6-disk changer. I'm still not
> in
> the clear though. After bringing it home, routing the cables so it
> will
> mount under the rear decking and drilling the mounting plate, I found
> that
> I still have to get an adapter to make the cable to cable connections.
>
> The factory wiring is what the Pannasonic has on the radio side, 2
> RCA's
> and a DIN connector. The cd-player needs a single DIN input connector.
> The
> factroy wiring seems to be the exact reverse of the Pannasonic cable.
>
> -just thought you might want to know
>
> Dave Rizzolo
> 97 GLX - black w/black leather

In case you missed it Dave,
About the Bose System:
The PanasonicCX-DF601 is completely compatible with the Bose Music
System head unit that comes in the VW Jetta GLX's '97. All you need to
do is hook it up via the VW-PAN cable made by Precision Interface
Electronics:
(800)526-8590. They also make similar converters for other car
manufacturers and CD-Changers. The whole thing ran me $280! instead of
the $800 the dealer wanted me to spend for their CD-Changer (made by
Panasonic for VW) and the system sounds great!
Also, you might like to check out an old article in Motor Trend. On page

128 of the May '96 Issue, there is an article on the installation of CD
changers to work with stock audio systems.
        It involved the aforementioned cable from P.I.E..  In the case
of the article a shop installed a Panasonic CX-DP600 six disc
changer to a '96 Jetta GLX's system. It also allowed them to install a
Sony XM C-2000 crossover / amplifier and an SAS Bazooka T-62 subwoofer.
They said the system can be done without the subwoofer and increase the
output of the
stock system w/o replacing speakers.
i.e.: there is no reason to change the stock system.
Hope this helps out!
Etienne Totti
San Juan, Puerto Rico