Headlight switch tech question

Item Subject: cc:Mail Text
     I hope this falls into the tech aspects of the VR6, although some
     models also feature the driving lights.

     Here is my situation.  I have a early '95 Jetta GLX, from the factory
     it did NOT have the Day Time Running lights (DRL's).  It was before
     swithching over.  Consequently the switch has 3(or4) positions. 1= off
     2=parkinglights 3=headlights ~4=pulled out drivers on.

     Originally the postition 4 (pulled out) only worked with postition 3.
     If the switch was returned to 2 or 1 it would drop back in and not be
     abled to pull out.  This switch broke, and was replaced.  Also even if
     switch was in pos. 3 and pulled out ~4 if the High beams were
     activated the fogs would go out.

     The new switch is a little different.  same 3(or4) position switch
     except that pos. 4(pulled out) can happen in pos. 2. i.e. fogs and
     parking lights, however when set in this position the fogs will not
     light.  They only come on in pos. 3 (like the previous switch).

     My question is,  what is the set up of the European switch like (I've
     never seen one)?  Is it like the one I have, but has a different
     jumper or relay configuration?  Can mine be altered to work like the
     European switch, ie, parking + fogs or Highbeams + fogs?  OR is this
     yet a third different type of switch (4th if you count the switch
     configured for the DRL systems)?

     Thanks for any incite.
     andy

     I hope I haven't over stepped the technical boundries of the VR6
     mailing list.