Tech: Oil Change Frequency and Weight

Hi All,
	I noticed that VW has changed oil change frequency from 7500 miles to
10,000 miles on '98 VR6s. Being that they pick up the tab for earlier oil
changes in the life of the car, I am wondering for what reasons this was
done.
	Right now I have the oil changed on my car at the VW recomended intervals
of 7500 miles, and go with their weight of oil that they provide. I was
just curious what is thought as best. On my Scirocco 16V in college, I had
this done every 2500 miles, and used Castrol GTX 20W50 in the summer and
10W40 in the winter. What do you all recomend? I haven't seen a thread like
this yet, so I thought I'd bring it up for the record. Later-G