Re: Check engine light

On Mon, 1 Dec 1997, patrick turner wrote:

> I have a 98 Jetta GLX and the check engine light came on while I was driving
> Wed night.  I immediately pulled over and checked all the fluids, etc...  I
> took it to a VW service station on Friday and they hooked it up to the
> computer and said the computer would not give any codes and that the
> car was perfectly fine.  The dealer told me to keep running it and that the
> light should reset itself in about 40 restarts, assuming nothing was wrong.
> But why would the light come on if nothing was wrong???

Was your car low on gas when this occured?  I've had the same problem in
my '97, starting at ~300 miles and was recently told by a dealer that this
is due to a computer glitch.  He told me that when the car gets low on
gas, a bogus warning light will come on and will usually stay on until
after you've refilled and driven for a short time.

Andy