Check engine light

Hey everyone:

I have a 98 Jetta GLX and the check engine light came on while I was driving
Wed night.  I immediately pulled over and checked all the fluids, etc...  I
took it to a VW service station on Friday and they hooked it up to the
computer and said the computer would not give any codes and that the
car was perfectly fine.  The dealer told me to keep running it and that the
light should reset itself in about 40 restarts, assuming nothing was wrong.
But why would the light come on if nothing was wrong???

If not, they would then look into it further.  Has anyone ever had or heard
of this type of problem?

Thanks!!

Patrick
98 Jetta GLX Red, Black leather, fully stock (so far)