Re: Check engine light

> On Mon, 1 Dec 1997, patrick turner wrote:
> >
> > I have a 98 Jetta GLX and the check engine light came on while I was driving
> > Wed night.  I immediately pulled over and checked all the fluids, etc...  I
> > took it to a VW service station on Friday and they hooked it up to the
> > computer and said the computer would not give any codes and that the
> > car was perfectly fine.  The dealer told me to keep running it and that the
> > light should reset itself in about 40 restarts, assuming nothing was wrong.
> > But why would the light come on if nothing was wrong???
>
> Was your car low on gas when this occured?  I've had the same problem in
> my '97, starting at ~300 miles and was recently told by a dealer that this
> is due to a computer glitch.  He told me that when the car gets low on
> gas, a bogus warning light will come on and will usually stay on until
> after you've refilled and driven for a short time.
>
> Andy

My tank was about 1/4 full.  I have since refuled and am waiting *patiently*
for the light to go off.  The dealer mentioned something about an emissions
leak from the gas cap that would require the check engine light to stay on for
40 restarts.
Hopefully I will have reached this by the end of this week!

As for the overall VW experience, this is my first VW, and I love it!! It is
quite a machine and hopefully won't give me too many problems.

Thanks.

Patrick
98 Jetta GLX
T red, Black leather, completeley stock (for now)