RE: Off Topic: Neon ACR

> Subject: 	Off Topic:  Neon ACR
>
>      Does anyone know much about these cars or driven one?  They sound
>
>      quite impressive.  From the factory they come with stiffer
> springs,
>      Koni adjustible shocks, larger sway bars, and upgraded brakes.
> They
>      have 150 HP from a 2.0L 16V 4-banger.  Sounds alot like the old
> Jetta
>      16Ver.
>      andy

I own one.  I am not on the Jetta/GTI mailing list.  Forgive me if this
has been answered in detail before.

They do not have upgraded brakes.  They have the same 4-wheel disc
brakes of the more expensive Neons, but NO ABS (and the Neon ABS is not
that good, so it's no bad thing).

The rear springs are the same as stock.  The front springs are stiffer
by 10lbs (not that much, IMO).

The ACR sedan is only available with the SOHC engine (132hp).  The ACR
coupe is only available with the DOHC engine (150hp).

They do have adjustable Koni's, the larger sway bars (22mm front, 16mm
rear).  They also have a fast-ratio 5-speed transmission.  Slightly
upgraded cooling capacity (A/C size radiator even without A/C).  They
have the 14x6 alloy wheels standard.  They can be ordered with minimal
options (mine has no A/C, no radio, no intermittent wipers, no NOTHING
except rear-window defogger) but there is A/C and a nicer interior
available (American National Champion it's called).  They have a front
fascia with holes for foglights, but no foglights installed.

They are cheap (mine was $12.5K after taxes and I got screwed :-), and
cheap to insure (they insure as a Base Neon, as there is nothing in the
VIN to indicate they are not Base Neons).

And you know how good they are at SCCA SoloII if you into that sort of
thing.

They are of course less refined than current VWs because they are aimed
at different markets.

Sorry if you consider this spam...  I will respond individually to
anyone with further questions.

- -paul
paulhag@microsoft.com
Wishing for a VR6 in an ACR-type car