Re: Performance alignments

On 8/11/97 8:00AM, in message <862564F0.0050F485.00@lngate.platinum.com>,
douglas.carter@platinum.com wrote:

> My question is, has anyone else used different settings other than the
> prescribed 1/16th toe out and 1 degree camber?
>
> Turbo Tim?  Aaron, are you out there?  Arthur?

My experience with alignments has been 99% bad.. it seems that virtually NOBODY
does it right, at least most anywhere I've been.. VW dealers ESPECIALLY, who have
NEVER done one anywhere near right for me.

That said, when I had my ND/Neuspeed suspension installed at ND several weeks
ago, the tech, Chris, advised me that he prefers to set the toe to zero, and
acknowledged that not everybody subscribes to that theory.  I asked him when he was
done if my steering wheel was centered, and his response was that it was indeed
dead-on, as long as his weight was close to mine - it was centered based on his weight
being in the driver's seat!!  Golly, I didn't even know you could make that compensation!
Well he and I are both pretty big dudes and I'm happy to report that the wheel is
dead-on and the car drives and tracks like it never did before.. despite a re-alignment
due to an off-center wheel when the car was new (which did NOT center it but got it
"closer")...

Perhaps Tim can elaborate on the specs they set for our cars??

- --
Kevin Collins
collinsk@pacbell.net
'97 GTI VR6