VR6 Engine Check Light

I have a serious problem with the VR6 engine in my '96 Golf. The Engine
Check light comes on every two or three weeks, obliging me to take the ca=
in for servicing. The dealer has replaced and repeatedly "retorqued" the =
Knock Sensor, which is always the cause of the Engine Check fault. The ca=
has spent seven days in the shop over five months for this problem.

I don't notice any pattern in what I might be doing to cause this probelm=
=2E
The Check light comes on with a full tank and a near-empty tank, during
idle and during 4,000rpm, with regular gas and with premium (I usually ru=
mid-grade), and with different brands of gas. I didn't have the same
problem with my '95 GTI-VR6.

The dealer has run out of ideas. Has this problem been seen before ?  =

What's the next step - does a factory rep see the car ?