Re: Premium audio Watts?

Dear Andi:

To start out, I know nothing about the Collins subwoofer.  However, I do
not recommend using the "bass blockers" you are considering.  I used
them on my old '84 GTI, and they would make a highly unusual sound at
higher volumes (the speakers would stop for a second and make a
high-pitched popping noise.)  I was told not to use these with co-axial
speakers since the tweeters already have a type of "bass blocker" (which
I think is simply a small capacitor) built on them.  As you will notice,
the factory tweeters in the '97 GTI's have a small capacitor on them
already, so I would suspect you will get the same noise I did.  The
factory speakers are wired in series, there is no real crossover network
on them.

 About 2 weeks ago, I had my factory speakers temporarily hooked up to
my a/d/s/ amp (50watts per speaker) and I must say they distorted
terribly, even at low volumes.  I recently replaced them all with a/d/s/
336is speakers, and there was a night-and-day difference.  The highs and
vocals are PERFECT (however there still wasn't much bass till I put in
the subwoofers.  I will have details of the install as soon as I get the
web-page finished!)

If you want to keep the factory speakers, I suggest you make sure your
subwoofer amp has enough power so that you don't have to turn-up the
bass on your headunit.  This way, your OE speakers won't be over-driven
by the bass signal and you won't have to use "bass-blockers."  I would
go with a single JL Audio 10W6 wired in parallel, or a Kicker Solo-Baric
10, or an a/d/s/ RS-10 wired in parallel (dual voice coils.)  All of
these speakers fit in relatively small enclosures (1.0 cu.ft. or less)
and they all sound great.

As far as sub-woofers are concerned, I prefer a sealed enclosure.
Sealed boxes are more accurate throughout the entire frequency range,
where as ported boxes are 'tuned' to play very loud at certain
frequency  and very poorly at others.  A sealed box requires more power
to play as loud as a ported box, but it is much easier to build.  I have
two a/d/s/ RS-10's in my car (1 cu. ft. per speaker) and they were worth
every penny!

Hope this helped,
Todd Taylor