Premium audio Watts? -Reply

Sorry this one is kind of long...

My Clarion head (might have door amps???? not sure, I think it
is a normal radio) has a max output of 20Wx4 which probably
translates to about 10-12 watts of usable power (ie RMS).  The
panasonic probably has the same specs.

I installed a 10 inch sub and amp by tapping into the speaker
outs and leaving the stock speakers alone.  It sounds really
good and looks unappealing to thieves!   If you tune the gain of
your amp you should be able to get a nice bass boost before you
start driving your stock speakers too hard.  I did not bother with
the bass blockers. If you want to go that route for loud music,
then get an amp to drive all the speakers not just the sub.  A lot
of amps have built in cross overs.

My 10 inch sub in a bandpass box sounded great in my old
corrado but is a little boomier in the gti.  Still sounds great.

The advantage with a band pass box is that it is more efficient
which means that you need a lot less amp.  My box realizes a 6
dB gain over a sealed box.  Remember that a 3dB gain
represents a doubling of sound energy (ie Watts).  The
disadvantage of the bandpass is that the sound rolls off after
120 Hz or so, but you will have the cross over set at 100Hz in all
likelyhood so it shouldnt matter!!

The best thing you can do is try out a couple of different boxes to
see which one you like best.

Omar
97 GTI

>>> ANDREWAT @ SMTP (ANDREW_ATWELL)
{gti-vr6-owner@dev.tivoli.com} 08/05/97 02:37pm >>>
Item Subject: cc:Mail Text
     Anyone know the RMS power rating for the Panasonic
Premium Audio head
     unit?  I am thinking about a small upgrade.  keeping factory
head unit
     and speakers, put bass blocking circuits on the stock
speakers, and
     adding a powered Collins 8"subwoofer.  Any thoughts?
suggestions?
     Comments?  Anyone have experience with the Collins Subs?
or could give
     me insite on the pluses and minuses of enclosed vs.
tube/vented vs.
     bandpass subs?
     Thanks
     andy