Re: [Celtics' Stuff ] who to protect for the expansion draft?

In a message dated 3/11/04 4:05:01 AM Pacific Standard Time,
Celtic4Hire@xxxxxxx writes:

> I don't see how Charlotte refuses that deal. But is a 5 million exception
> that great for us? If Danny had another deal already lined up, then yes but
> Stewart's contract itself has some value since it is expiring. The thing that
> bothers me is that we have had trade exceptions in the past and haven't used
> them (although smaller). So again, I say this works if Danny had another deal
> lined
> up to use it on.
>
> How do you like the threat that the Cs are going to go for additional money
> from Vin? Maybe they are going try to recoup previous wages. They must be
> trying to settle or it is time to play hardball....DJessen33

One of the teams that has been mentioned as a possible suitor for Blount is
Orlando. The Magic want to rid themselves of Juwan Howard but are also soon
faced with making a decision on Drew Gooden as well. To allow Orlando a better
chance to acquire Blount the Magic would be well served to consider the ability
to exceed the MLE and outbid another team if necessary. Thus, a sign and trade
deal would be win/win proposition for both clubs and because it would still
preserve the C's MLE to use on another player while obtaining a decent front
court player in exchange in either Howard or Gooden. A "4"/"5" rotation of Mihm,
LaFrentz, Perkins, Hunter and either Gooden or Howard ain't too shabby.

And while on the topic of Hunter, remember when last summer O'Brien made a
reference to taking a look at him at the "3" spot?  I for one was incredulous at
that notion but thinking back, he may have been onto something. A lot of
folks don't want to see McCarty log any minutes at all. Well, I say TAKE the
minutes from him, Hunter. Show the coaching staff you're quick enough and strong
enough to battle with the bigs but he also needs to show he is capable of
defending SFs. That way, he can log minutes at both the forward positions. And it
reduces McCarty (and Jumaine Jones) to a less needed status and would also
negate the idea of adding Fizer. With LaFrentz healthy, I could see a starting
rotation next year of Mihm, LaFrentz, Pierce in the front court with Davis and
Atkins in the backcourt. Jiri, Banks, Hunter, and Perkins as the primary 2nd unit
    Throw into that mix either Gooden or Howard along with a Brent Barry via
the MLE and the C's have athleticism and are 2 deep at every position.

Re: Baker, it's just posturing. The sooner both parties gain closure the
better. It was high risk gamble that didn't pan out and it's time to move on.

CeltsSteve

``In Ainge We (T)rust" - what other choice do we really have?