Re: questions about the lakers game

Kim wrote:

It's a GAME. It's supposed to be ENTERTAINMENT. You know - as in fun?

--- --- ---

Yes and no. Fun is fine as long as it doesn't get in the way of winning.
What Ricky did had the potential to get in the way - big time.

This isn't the Harlem Globetrotters. That's fun and entertainment. These
guys are paid a lot of money to play to win the game. The fans pay a lot
of money to see the teams play to win the game. I want the players to
have fun. I think it's important. But that fun has to go hand in hand
with winning basketball. Not with showboating plays that could cost the
team a game.

I don't agree with the "it sapped the spirit and cost the team the game"
comments, but I thought Ricky's actions were awful. You know I've been a
huge Ricky fan since he came here. Last night, though, was inexcusable.
I expect the 360s and windmills and stuff from him - those are part of
who he is, and you'll never change that. But between the legs is taking
it too far.

Peter May was really unfair to Ricky in the paper this morning, using
the missed dunk as a launching pad for a "Ricky hasn't changed at all"
sermon. Anyone who has watched him at all since coming to Boston knows
that Ricky has played well, hard and within the team concept, and to say
anything else is unfair. By all accounts, his coaches and teammates like
the guy. Even last night, Ricky was one of the big reasons the Celtics
stayed in the game, not that May acknowledged as much.

Anyway, I still like Ricky, but he deserves criticism for what he did
last night. It was way over the line.

Other thoughts ...

... I'm with everyone else on the Hunter thing. But it's hard to argue
with playing Walter so many minutes. After all, he was really hot (1 for
4), was playing inspired defense (5 fouls, Lakers 69 points in first
half) and was rebounding like a madman (0 rebounds). Ryan - I'm being
sarcastic.

... Forget everything else about the Celtics. What they are will be
determined by Paul Pierce. If he can't bounce back and become the player
we saw in 2001, the rest of it is window dressing. He has to be that
guy, not the Stackhouse clone we've seen for the better part of a year
and a half. Remember when Vince Carter was compared to Kobe? It's a thin
line.

... I still like Chucky, but that late three-pointer when the C's were
down by six was a killer. They desperately needed a good shot. Biggest
possession of the game. And he takes a quick, long three from the top of
the key. I literally groaned when he let it go.

... Tommy was unbearable last night. Officials, officials, officials...
We get it. We always get it. You think the Celtics get screwed. Fine.
Shaq gets away with three seconds and throwing his weight around.
Welcome to the NBA. Where you been the past 10 years?

Mark