Re: questions about the lakers game

At 09:36 AM 3/11/2004, Berry, Mark S wrote:
Kim wrote:

It's a GAME. It's supposed to be ENTERTAINMENT. You know - as in fun?

I don't agree with the "it sapped the spirit and cost the team the game"
comments, but I thought Ricky's actions were awful. You know I've been a
huge Ricky fan since he came here. Last night, though, was inexcusable.
I expect the 360s and windmills and stuff from him - those are part of
who he is, and you'll never change that. But between the legs is taking
it too far.

I'm somewhere in between. Look, the primary point I was making was that the criticism I responded to was way overdone -with which you agreed (I'm snipping for length). And that it was ONE PLAY, not in the critical end of the game, intended to be entertaining in the middle of what was quite an entertaining game, despite the loss. Some showboating is clearly part of the package with Ricky. It's his way of interpreting basketball the game and being competative. And I'm sorry, but it's also been part of the package with a lot of very good and great players even if they don't all showboat with between the legs dunks. They still do it in other ways. While I figure we've got to allow Ricky a small amount of it as a pressure release, because so long as basketball is fun he'll stay under control and continue the growing up process that we have seen. That was another big point I was making - on the whole he's been hard working and trying to do the right thing. This isn't the all Ricky showboating all the time show, despite his reputation, so he should get more slack than was being given. With luck he'll grow out of the need for it, although I honestly hope he doesn't entirely grow out of doing it, because sometimes it's fun. If we were a better team rather than busy looking for excuses for losing it wouldn't be such an issue. And even now, he makes the dunk, thereby getting the emotional Cs fired up with the crowd behind them (as it was, the crowd was amused rather than otherwise) leading to a win then the response is a bit different IMO. In the meantime, yeah, he could have just laid it in and should as a rule go for the sure and less showy shot. It was dumb (although again I think perception of that changes if he makes it) but not much worse. Not even IMO your awful.

best
Kim