RE: Fwd: Re: Why the Ainge Hatred?

Not personally directed at you Robert, but a pet peeve of mine is not even knowing the players names that one speaks of. Chucky's last name is Atkins, not Adkins. People seem to do the same with Jiri (Juri). IMO, it takes away from any points you are trying to make. If you don't follow the team enough to know the players names, how can you really know what you are talking about?

Again, it is a personal pet peeve, so please no one take it personally. Let's just try and at least get the players names right. This is, after all, a Celtics board. We, of all people, should know the Celtics names.

From: R Howe <regmanw6@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Celtics list <celtics@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Fwd: Re: Why the Ainge Hatred?
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 10:38:34 -0800 (PST)

Note: forwarded message attached.
Yahoo! Search - Find what youre looking for faster.
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 10:34:51 -0800 (PST)
From: R Howe <regmanw6@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Why the Ainge Hatred?
To: Mark Piotrowski <markp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Good post, I dont know why Ainge seems to be a lightning rod either. Mabe he comes across as a know it all without the cashe that a Pitino or Reily have. He also gives long interviews and talks to the media as if he were aguing points in an informal setting with friends. Of course the media then rewards him with that he doesnt know what he is doing, and blowing up our great team, not getting enough in return...... Bla-bla-bla routine. Of course arent these the same pundits that were killing Belichec(?) in his first year, bad record and the strange circumstances that followed him turning down the Jets?

Lets see what Ainge has done:

He inherited Pierce & Walker plus Ewil (contract year) and fodder along with his first draft picks, a team that made it to the playoffs the past 2 seasons, prospects going forward? about the same (if EC remained horrible) with the Celts gradually trending down because of lousy Salary structure & teams getting better over time. All the while getting older heading for a train wreck. I will not get into how bad they were to watch (my opinion).

his actions thus far:

1. Traded Walker for what roughly turns out to be Jiri, Lafrentz (both key players to next year and beyond, 2 late first rounders, and Adkins (a good short term PG that has stablized the ship & who should be a decent backup once Banks gains a jump shot and better court vision ( starting next year hopefully). all in all not bad, not Kobie or TMac or Yao like some pundits seem to think he could have gotten for walker but hey I like the multiple talent infusion plus addition by subtraction.

Traded Ewil (FA), Battie (who I liked), and Kendrick (to date a talented bust) For High Wired Davis, Mihm, both young and athletic (and cheap) along w/Yogie (a bad contract). More young talent, Davis had a bad rep but seems to be trying hard to fit in during a crazy time, without adding to the chaos. Mihm I like because he is athletic young and can board and play some D. If he can develope a mid range jumper then he is a steal. Again infusion of young athletic talent. The bad & good is that this transaction made Obie (and Harter) exit (good) that caused the mid season chaos (not good).

Traded James (an Ainge FA signing) and Mills expiring contract for Adkins and #1, also netted Pistons Wallace. He got killed for this, but this was right after OBie quit and the ensuing chaos. He needed to bring in a vet to stablize the situation, though I think he was getting a little ahead of himself thinking ping pong balls. Resulted in Adkins and Hunter starting and now we are talking Playoffs. I did not like the trade but in retro to get a true PG to help Banks dvelopment and another #1 rates this trade a C+ (my opin)

All in all we have gotten younger, more athletic, more manuvering room, and mult 1st round picks. Take this (and a returning Lafrentz) and the fact we play in the EC will make it easier to for danny to sell his project/vision to a new coach. After next year mabe Danny will be getting cudos from his critics, I wouldnt hold my breath on his critics but I like what he is doing so far, give him time.

Go Celts

Mark Piotrowski <markp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I really can't fathom why every sportswriter seems to have it out for
Ainge. He seems to be a good interview -- honest, gives good quotes,
seems like a likeable enough guy... but every article is bashing him.
Why? Here are the things i could come up with. Anyone else have other
ideas...i've tried to whittle down the useless ones (like "they're all
just idiots..."

1. The non-Boston writers still hate Ainge from the 80s when he played
for the Celtics -- he had the rep of one of the most hated players,
right? but then why all the NE writer- bashing?

2. Maybe they're still stinging from when Pitino came in, razed the
team, gave the writers a bunch of BS and failed. Maybe they just don't
want to have egg on there faces if they support Danny and he fails (I
for one was never more disappointed by the C's in the 90s than by the
failure of Pitino and his teams...)

3. They legitimately disagree with the direction Ainge is taking the
team. But its so early how can they judge it -- and why the leniency
on teams like New York, Dallas, even Orlando for how they've built
their teams? And if it is legitimate disagreement then why do they ALL
say the same things -- can't there be any original suggestions? What
would these writers have done with E. Williams? Traded him at the
deadline? Let him walk? Resigned him too big money? Little moneY?

4. Pack journalism -- either b/c they're asked to do more in less time
or b/c they're just lazy -- these writers and commentators are just
parroting what each other write/say.

I for one like the team Ainge is building. I like that we're coming together. I like that we'll have 3 of the top 24 picks in next year's draft. I like that we'll have a new head coach. I like that Ainge -- unlike Wallace or even Obie -- seems to care about Celtice Pride. Is he above criticism? No. But i'm still waiting for some from someone other than people on this list that seems fair or even thought out...

at a loss...
(the other) mark
Yahoo! Search - Find what youre looking for faster.

Frustrated with dial-up? Lightning-fast Internet access for as low as $29.95/month. http://click.atdmt.com/AVE/go/onm00200360ave/direct/01/