Re: Win at Minnesota

We're probably spending far too much time talking about something that,
as far as we can tell, isn't even a remote possibility. Still, I had to
address this response from Kim.

I completely disagree, Kim. The Jazz, at their best, were one of the
best running teams in the league. Malone ran the floor better than any
power forward in the past 20 years. Heck, he still runs the floor with
the best of them even though he's dragging a cane behind him and a
bottle of Ben Gay in his sock.

The Jazz, I think, would very much be Ainge's model. They run the floor
like crazy, but in the halfcourt set they run a disciplined, unselfish
offense. The point guard controls the ball. Players are put in position
to succeed. And they do that while committing to defense on the other
end. They don't have the talent of Sacramento, but I think the style of
play isn't that far off - with more emphasis on defense and a more
discipline in the halfcourt offense.

Like I said, it's probably a useless argument. We have no indication
Stockton is interested in coaching or that Ainge has any interest in
him. But I wanted to voice my opinion on the Utah system. It's hardly
walk-it-up, call a play, grind the game to a halt. Not at all. Hire a
Van Gundy if that's what you want. Or an O'Brien.

Mark

--- --- ---

Kim wrote:

As to Stockton, I expect he would be much the same sort as his long time
head coach because
> that's what he was trained to believe in and because of how he himself
played. So same
> objections to Sloan as The Answer. Sloan is a fantastic coach, but his
style plays completely
> against Ainge's vision - against our best assets and into our biggest
faults. Sloan reportedly
> prefers a highly structured and disciplined on court system where the
coach does a lot of play
> calling and options to free lance are very limited. With a fast
Stockton smart PG to run it, it
> might turn into Danny's free wheeling fast breaking vision, but I
really doubt it. Danny's
> vision centers around creative and entertaining use of athleticism to
create an offense run from
> opportunism (which is the sort of talent he has been targeting) vs
structured play calling. Yes,
> we need more structure and control, but I don't think Danny wants that
much of a pendulum swing
> and I don't think it plays well into our best off!
>  ensive talent - Pierce and Davis at the top, and including guys like
Banks.