How long

Both Boston papers have now done the obligatory "Should the Celtics be trying to win" stories now. I admit to being conflicted ... though can we all agree that playoffs or no playoffs, lottery or no lottery, we want to finish ahead of the Knicks and that nitwit Isiah?

My question is, how long before the Boston media dweebs come out with the "John Carroll is doing such a great job, the Celtics should give him a long-term contract" stories? I'm guessing if they beat Washington Friday, for a four-game win streak, that will do it.

Will this come before or after the "Celtics must give Mark Blount whatever he wants, up to and including the maximum" stories. Blount did have a pretty fantastic game last night -- doesn't seem to be a coincidence that he's suddenly a rebounder now that Brandon Hunter is playing. He seems to have both more fire on the boards and more room to operate.

It will, of course, take much longer (2-3 years?) for anyone to write a story that, hey, Ricky Davis is a better player than Eric Williams.

STEVE O