Re: playoffs?

On Mar 1, 2004, at 2:41 PM, Ellie Cutler wrote:

It's not about missing a slight chance at a top 3 pick -- it's about the
difference between a #14 pick and a #6 pick. That's a big enough
difference to warrant missing out on a (losing) playoff experience.

Maybe -- but is the glass half full or half empty? couldn't you put this a different way?

2002 -- instead of Nikoloz Tskitishvili (#5) or DaJuan Wagner (6) you get Jiri Welsch (16)
2001 -- instead of Eddie Griffin (7) you get Troy Murphy (14)
2000 -- instead of DerMarr Johnson (6) you get Hidyet Turkoglu (16) or Desmond Mason (17)
1999 -- instead of Jonathan Bender (5) you get Ron Artest (16)
1998 -- instead of Robert Traylor (6) you get Rasho Nesterovic (17)

my point is even if we get the 5th, 6th or 7th pick there is no guarantee that you can't get a better player further down -- the key is drafting well wherever you pick AND a bit of luck (see DerMarr Johnson). The 96 draft was a different time -- only KG had jumped from HS (Kobe was 96), and very the only international players were picked usually in the mid-to-late 1st round. The draft is so much less predictable these days i think b/c you're top 5-6 players may or may not turn out to be players at all (see Tyson Chandler, Darius Miles, Stro Swift).

But with making the playoffs you are guaranteed some post-season experience and something to build on for next season. However with this team it could hurt b/c it might keep Carroll around -- though i think Ainge learned his lesson from keeping O'Brien around, Carroll's gone IMO unless he makes it to the finals.

Our sample size is still too small with Ainge's picks, but i'm hoping that even the 16, 23 and 26 picks would produce legit NBA talents.

Don't get me wrong -- if we end up in the lottery after playing hard, i won't give back the pick, but the season is still going on and the playoffs should be the goal. I was reminded of this after watching the final game of the Indy upset last year this weekend on tape. How exciting was that? Don't think we couldn't surprise a team like Detroit? Or win a series (finally) vs. NJ if Kidd's knee keeps acting up?

(the other) mark