Re: Ouch

At 10:17 PM 1/30/2004, Sean Giovanello wrote:
I am pretty down on Pierce. This year has shown he how much he needed Antoine or someone comparable. At least 2 out of 5 games now, Paul seems more of the problem than the solution. I dont think his attitude has been good this year and it seems to be getting worse. I cant help but wonder whether Ricky Davis has anything to do with it. I am going to remember that dunk miss tonite for a long time.

Actually I think you're being unfair to both of them. Paul's had the same sort of problems all season, well before Ricky came on board. And while Pierce's on court behavior can drive me crazy in a lot of ways, I think that failed dunk was nothing more than an attempt to give the crowd and his teammates *something* to be enthusiastic/fired up about. They'd been getting pretty heavily boo'd and NOTHING was going right.

As to Pierce's broader problems, you're more on target with the idea that he needs an Antoine or someone else to actually run the team and just use him as a key weapon. IMO his season long problems are from trying to figure out his new role- he's thinking too much, getting away from the things that made him effective, and trying to do things that just don't suit him. Including trying to be the sort of natural leader that he really isn't, but with no alternative on the team to do it instead or reign him in when he needs it. Something I think Ainge thinks as well, based upon comments during the conference call about Pierce would benefit from a veteran point guard leader on the floor.

Kim