Re: OH NO - not Shira, too

At 09:14 AM 1/30/2004, William Lee wrote:
<snip>People put so much stock in making it to the play-offs like it's the end-all and be-all. It's like we're the Bengals or something. Shouldn't we strive to be more than merely a team that makes the play-offs?

No, that's just connotations you're putting on it. Setting up a straw man. No one has said or thinks it's the end all or be all, especially not now that we've actually been back there. You might have gotten a different answer from a few people back in the ML/Pitino years, but not from most. Nor is there any reason to think anyone thinks just getting there is enough and that we shouldn't strive for more.

However, as even Danny pointed out in the conference call yesterday, it still IS important to get there vs whatever you think they should be doing instead - active tanking or just 'relaxing'. For a number of reasons, with probably the most important the one that Danny pointed to - it's a key next step part of the development of the younger players (which we are loaded with). To start with, it's a reward to keep morale up and encourage them to keep working hard by showing them it gets rewarded. While the simple truth is that you can't win a championship without getting to the playoffs first, and NO ONE wins one their first year in the playoffs in the NBA, making it inadvisable to hold back until you're 'ready'. Getting there shows the players that they have accomplished something, but even more importantly feeds the competative hunger over someone else accomplishing more paired with a tangible lesson on why they themselves failed to do so. It also gives them experience in dealing with the differing intensity, rules and hype that surround playoff basketball, which again helps with their maturity, including putting those lessons behind them for when they're good in other ways enough to move on. Finally, it emphatically becomes a factor in trying to attract free agents to take the next step in improving - haven't seen people falling all over themselves to sign with the Clippers for a while, have you?

Kim