Some ideas to (hopefully) make the NBA A Better Place To Be

I've been thinking--always a dangerous proposition when mixed with liberal
doses of painkiller--and I thought I'd toss out a few notions and see what
everyone thinks.  Just some notions on making the NBA more enjoyable for
everyone.

The 40-minute game.  This was mentioned in jest during last night's C's
broadcast, but it actually makes sense.  It's plain that the games are
running a tad long and scoring is abominable anyway.  While we're at it,
let's dispense with the TV timeouts.  There's no reason a professional
basketball game--absent OT--can't be completed in two hours.

If you add teams, you must shorten the season.  Yes, I know it's nice that
the NBA makes sure that every team visits everyone else at least once a
season, but do we REALLY need to see Atlanta vs. Washington?  Between the
regular season, preseason and postseason, it's silly.  We don't need 82
games--or however many it is when the Bobcats start up next season--to
figure out the standings, do we?

Drop preseason games.  Or at least limit it to 2 games, one home, one
away.  Just about every coach would rather have more practice time, and
after some of the early season embarrassments, some of the players are
regretting not having more lead time before the season gets underway.

Changes for the All-Star Game.  First, move it to June.  How many times has
it happened that some players who obviously need rest instead decide to go
to the weekend bash?  Let everyone go after the season's end.  That also
gives fans tome to get a good look at how their potential starters look
THIS year.  Maybe Vince Carter would finally stay home where he
belongs.  Also, there should be a minimum playing time required for ALL
players participating.  Yes, I'm still annoyed at Thomas for insulting
Pierce and Walker.  I don't care what a coach's personal opinion is of the
players on the team.  They deserve to be out there, especially, I think,
those who were voted on BY ONE'S PEERS.  With the February All-Star Weekend
no longer there, leave the time off in place and call it the midseason
break.  Gives everyone a reasonable chance to settle nasty injuries,
regroup for more practice times and generally give the fans a break.

WE NEED FEWER TEAMS.  There's no way around this.  Everyone's scouting high
school kids because there aren't enough adults to play the game at the pro
level.  There's at least 20 players in the NBA who coast because someone
needs warm bodies on the bench.  Drop some of the lesser teams--and for
crying out loud, do Teas and California really need multiple teams??  By
shortening the number of teams, you have more flexibility with the
schedule, and a better pool of players.  My REALLY radical suggestion is to
split the NBA into east and west with NO meeting between the two
conferences until the playoffs.  But I know that won't happen.

Cut the salaries.  I don't  object to a player making money--even a lot of
money--but we got bench warmers taking down six figure yearly
incomes.  That's insane.  Let the players prove on the court that they're
worth that kind of money.  Otherwise, you'll see ticket prices continue to
rise with no end in sight.

Cut ticket prices.  Not by much, but let's face it--the average--or below
average--income NBA fan can't afford anything but nosebleed
seats.  Sometimes us "cheap seats" types would like a shot at being in the
same time zone as the court.

Subdivide the NBA League Pass.  Not everyone can--or wants to--afford to
watch "every" NBA game.  Offer EC and WC packages, or even better, by
division.  You see only the games played by the group of teams you
choose.  If it werent for the direct revenue thing, I'd suggest single team
packages, but then the Hawks would have to pay the cable and satellite
companies to show their games.

Call it both ways, or, "the Tommy Heinsohn Lament".  There has ben
improvement of late, but overall, the quality of officiating HAS gone down
the tubes the last few seasons.  A comprehensive review of all the rules
and how they should be called might be a good idea; along with a more
open--and less punitive--process for those who have serious differences
with how a particular game is called.  It IS a bit silly to fine someone
just for saying the refs stank.  And please...PLEASE...fire Violet
Palmer.  I don't care that she's the only female official in the NBA--she's
incompetent.  They actually fired the only other female official--and she
was slightly better than Violet.  In addition, let's not reward good
acting.  Call a techincal for flopping.

"One Prize, One Goal"--or at least, one set of rules for FIBA, the NBA, and
whomever else is running a pro basketball league.  Let's avoid yet another
round of "we can't remember which set of rules to play by." that's going to
be more and more relevant as we get international players in the
NBA.  Whilst on the subject, either poop or get off the pot with the US
basketball team.  Either we're going to send out best players, or we're
going to set up a separate, permanent, international team.  For fear of
being called unpatriotic, Coaches have muted their concerns about their
best players going to the Olympics, World championships, etc., and coming
back either injured or too tired to play NBA basketball.  The USOC and the
NBA need to get their acts together.

Coaches run the team, not the GM, not the owners, and not the players.  If
coach O'Brien, for example, says his team needs more practice, the practice
should be held.  This NONSENSE about veteran players reporting to training
came after the rooks is absurd and should be immediately abolished.

I'm not really sure what to do about the three, but I do think if at the
end of a game you deliberately foul an opposing player, said player should
get three free throws.  This might put an end to the parades to the free
throw line that seem to end at least one game every night.  The problem is
that so many teams are still jamming under the hoop that an outside shot is
often the only offensive option.  Maybe if they gave three points for a
dunk...  :>)

Broadcasters--ESPECIALLY FSNE--need to stop showing graphics and replays at
the expense of seeing the LIVE GAME!!  Give the replay a rest.

There's more whimsical ideas, but I'm trying to bring this to an end before
the end of the season.

Patiently awaiting banner #17...

Snoopy the Celtics Beagle