Fwd: Re: the Hunter option

Note: forwarded message attached.
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 05:54:43 -0800 (PST)
From: R Howe <regmanw6@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: the Hunter option
To: gene kirkpatrick <gk_tyler@xxxxxxxxx>

He looked better than his stats. Down low he was like a bowling ball, bodies knocking down to the floor and he would be last standing with the ball. He could have had a double double easy, some of his rebounds came off the books because he was over the back fouled 2-3 times as he came up with rebounds. You could tell he was nervous because he missed most of his first half free throws. In the secound half he settled down a bit and started to knock them down with more regularity.

Very good at going to the hoop from about 10 feet out in traffic, Rebounding is outstanding, clears and hold space when blocking out, Jiri and Pierce in the secound half were beneficiaries in collecting boards because of his dirty work. Looks to set picks for everyone not just stars. even seems to have good vision in traffic in passing the ball. More athletic than I saw of him during summer.

I am echoing like others why he has not seen daylight quicker than this? Did Ainge push to finally get him some PT? seems Obie and up to last nite Carrol has been too loyal to Waltah. The rotation at the 4 & 5 spots from this point forward should be Mighm (last nite seemed a bit out of sync), Blount and Hunter.  Never should Waltah be a PF unless emergency, should see Perkins before him in limited minutes. Even Last nite Carrol's substitution pattern after 1st qtr had Waltah w/Blount or Hunter and interior toughness then disapeared. Should always have Hunter, Mihm and Blount combos for rebounding. If you need perimeter game go to Jiri and Atkins, who was very good last nite. A breath of fresh air. Got everyone involved. He is the type of vet that Banks can learn to see the floor and run a offence from. I did not know much of him before trade but liked what I saw, If he plays as well as he did last nite, will be a great pickup.

Last nite a great game. Pierce still seems in a bit of a funk, seems to take personally ref's non calls on him, attitude comes thru on his face and I believe refs pick up on it and things cycle worse from there. Pierce is definetly a frustrated guy out there and not having fun. I liked Davis, played extremely unselfishly last nite made some good passes.

All in All good result, entertaining game, some some hope and development for the future and still gained ground on the 5th lotto spot.  Wahooo!

Go Celts

gene kirkpatrick <gk_tyler@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'm not surprised at what Hunter did. "It's not Summer League," quoth coach O'Brien. No, it's not but Hunter played a full game and performed just like it was summer league. I would like to know if Ainge told the new coach to play Hunter. For some reason he did and now it screams out for an explanation of why he wasn't played like this as early as December. What were they thinking?

Well, having said that, I'm working off stats. How did Hunter look? Thanks, Gene