Re: The luster is off the Knick rose - Vescey

On Feb 24, 2004, at 8:17 AM, Eggcentric@xxxxxxx wrote:

< The Knicks, who were the media darlings, have come back to earth.
If Isiah reaches for Baker, you know they are really getting desperate....>
- Jessen

A bit envious of the Knicks are you because good old Isiah has so far
proven to be a bit more clever than our own Danny in gradually
rebuilding a team without resorting to completely gutting it first
in his championship-driven quest?  And watch out for the 6-17
pre-trade inept Cleveland who has recently rushed ahead of us in
the standings with a 17-17 post-trade record, while our 12-12 .500
pre-trade record has dissolved to 23-35, 11-23 since the trade.

The Knicks are fools gold. I salute (begrudgingly) Isaiah on the job he's done, but at the end of the day (or season as it were) are the Knicks gonig to win a title before us? Doubtful that a 87-year old Mutombo, heartless Tim Thomas and a disappeared (to Dallas) Kurt Thomas can handle any front line in the West. Their salary cap situation means they won't be able to add significant talent over the next few years and will be without a few draft picks they lost in the Marbury deal (which was a terrific move nonetheless). They're going to be where we were -- 4-7 seed every year, pull an upset or 2, then exit the playoffs. Yawn.

In all seriousness I'd say Cleveland is much, much closer to a title than either NY or Boston.

James is as good, if not better than the hype (much to my surprise). Boozer is better than someone like Horace Grant in his prime -- a legit PF for a championship team; The've got nice role players in Newble, Wagner, and Diop. I think they'll resign Eric Williams this summer as the 6th man/clubhouse leader he should be -- which will be an unheralded, but crucial move. I'm one who thinks EWill is the type of player you need on a championship team. Battie is no more healthy than he was when he was here but with Diop make a nice Center rotation with Z. Ilgauskas. if they can resign Z to a reasonable contract next summer, the Cavs will be far ahead of the stupid Knicks.

(the other) mark