Stuff

(1) Our problems over the past years have been due mainly to the volatile
combination of (a) poor evaluation of player talent and (b) impatience. Having
three draft picks in one year sounds terrific, but if we glean only the likes
of Joe Johnson, K. Brown, and Joe Forte we have not done much. At least Ainge
will seek players in the draft who pass the "head test." That should help. But
more is needed for player evaluation. Maybe we can sneak a peek at Jerry
West's notes.
(2) I hope we are not under the impression that the Cavaliers surge is due to
the contributions of Eric Williams, Tony Battie, and K. Brown. Brown does not
play (injured?), Battie has been injured and is playing sparingly now, and
Eric Williams is Eric Williams -- a solid ballplayer but hardly a big
difference maker. (I think he is 1-14 from the field in his last two games.)
(3) The Antoine Walker trade realized Juri, LaFrantz -- who is solid when
healthy -- and two first round draft picks (once Mills was traded). Nice
return for a player who from all reports was not a hotly sought after
commodity.
(4) Trading Paul Pierce would be a huge mistake. We need some continuity and
would be very unlikely to receive comparable value.
(5) The choice of our next coach is crucial. Any possibility that Pat Riley
might be cajoled?

Raymond Angelo Belliotti
Distinguished Teaching Professor
Chair