Re: Ford: GMs say Pierce no longer untouchable

On Feb 23, 2004, at 1:49 PM, Ryan W wrote:

Simple fact: people need to be put in a position to
succeed (yeah, I'm thinking that's Ainge's job
description).  Ainge has not done that for Pierce;
instead he's put him in a position to fail.  Then what
does he do when he fails?  He trades him (or at least
contemplates it) for 50 cents on the dollar.  Excuse
me while I kill myself....

I meant to mention this when it happened but I saw Bill Russell speak here at U of Florida about 3 weeks ago. Overall it was pretty disappointing talk (basically a bland corporate-type motivational speech).

But one thing that he said that really stuck out was that the philosophy of the Celtics always was (something to the effect of) "how do we maximize a players talents to make the team better and put them in a position to succeed". When the 1960s era C's got new players (like Heinsohn) the question was "what can you bring to the table -- and how do we let you maximize that talent".

Obie seemed to work in the opposite direction: "I don't care what your talents are I want you to do X (blitz the PG, jack up 3s, etc.).

I have to imagine that Ainge is trying to do the former: maximize players talents. He's got to see that PP is a much better player when he doesn't have to be focal point of the offense. He was dominant in 2001 b/c if teams double teamed him Walker could score, even Kenny Anderson could hit a shot. So -- i hope -- Ainge is trying to rebuild an offense around him.

The trade-pierce discussion is only interesting as an exercise -- i think there are maybe 6-9 players who you would even consider trading him for (7 or so of which would never be available). I'd much prefer Ainge keep trying to turn over the supporting cast (and stockpiled picks) into more talented players (a la Ray Allen, Zach Randolph, Drew Gooden).

(the other) mark